Saturday 26 July 2014

Ask Shoey - Episode #2

Got a great question today from my good friend and new co-worker, and I've been getting lots of requests for more "Ask Shoey" segments, so here is it:

"Hey Mike, how are you doing in the ARRL Centennial Contest?"

              - Ray S.
                 Saanichton, BC


Great question Ray! I've actually had a couple of people ask me this lately, so it's  probably a good time for an update.

For those of you who don't know, it is the Amateur Radio Relay League's (ARRL), 100th anniversary this year and they are having lots of special events to commemorate the occasion. Among these is a "Worked All States" contest, where each week two different states are in the air. Over the year you have at least two opportunities to work all 50 states and if successful, get an award.

There are several other contests and other such events going on for the centennial, and you can find info on them, and the ARRL, on their website: www.arrl.org


Anyway, now for the bad news. I was really enjoying the Centennial WAS contest, despite getting a late start, I was kicking ass and taking names. From the beginning of March, through about mid-June, I had worked 33 or 34 different states in the contest.

That's when it all fell apart. 

Between my change of careers, my antenna problems and the general distractions summer brings, I haven't worked any of the ARRL portable stations, let alone much HF at all, in well over a month.

I'm not too disappointed as I don't plan on being around much in the fall anyway, so it would have come to an end anyway.

I had a blast working the contest while I had the the time and I'll try and pick up any new states I can when I'm on the air for the remainder of the year.

While I might not get the official ARRL Centennial Worked All States Award, but I am only 3-4 states shy of a general WAS Award, and for someone who still considers himself a relative newbie, that is more than enough for now. 

There are plenty of other Awards to obtain and upgrade in this hobby, it's hard to get bored with it.

Thanks again for the interest Ray!

^ Ray! ^



No comments:

Post a Comment