Sunday 20 July 2014

Continuing On in to the Digital Arena

Okay, first the bad news:

My idea for hooking the FT-100D to my older laptop with the CT-62 cable that doesn't seem to be functioning didn't work. I tried every thing.

I'm officially accusing the ChiComs of sending me a dud. Oh well, I'll find another one later. It's not anywhere near the top of priority list.

Now for an update on my entering in to amateur radio's digital side:

After the FT-100D cable fiasco today, I stuck with my older laptop and pulled out my tried and true IC-756. I know it's interface cable works, and I've had it running of this particular laptop for a few years now. 

So after re-routing the antenna feed moving all of the necessary equipment to the Man Cave, (it was a miserable day here), I set it all up on my coffee table. 

My temporary setup.


I didn't dare take a picture, because my Man Cave is embarrassingly messy at the moment, but between the antenna cable, power wires, interface cables, internet cable, etc, etc, it was quite the mess of cords down there.

For some REALLY good news, the 756 tunes up again on all bands, except 80m, with the new feed line! I was a little worried that the internal tuner was shot, even after success on the FT-100D a few days ago.

After experiencing some computer problems and dealing with them, I fired up HRD and started Digital Master 780. 

"Getting Started" was actually quite frustrating. Between setting up connections between the radio and the computer, HRD and DM 780 and trying to interface it all together, and get HRD to work with DM 780, it took some time. 

After I *thought* I had it all  I turned in the waterfall and tuned around the digital sections of the bands...

Nothing but jibberush.

WTF?

After moving around cables and switching their various  ports a dozen or so times and trying every possible combination, I finally got to to the point where I could receive.

It's really frustrating the lack of info on such things online. It seems like if you don't have one of the three most popular radios out there that you're SOL if you want any real help with your rig.

After trying a few other things, like changing the cables around slightly, trying switching the speaker and mic wires, then switching them again, and playing with the settings in HRD and DM 780, I could still receive, but I was completely unable to transmit.

Nothing seems to want to work, not even holding down the PTT while the program is "transmitting".

I will look in to if and see what needs to be done, it would seemingly be something totally minor. And please, don't hesitate to offer and suggestions or guidance.

But, I'm shutting it down for today and declaring this a success. I'll will pick it up again later. As for tonight, I have a few things to do, and then I might re-acquaint  myself with my long lost love... (My IC-756!)

Almost legible, but no TX!


No comments:

Post a Comment