Friday 18 July 2014

Quick Update

I had a unexpected surprise this afternoon. I had forgotten that my wife was going camping with her girlfriends tonight and my kids were going to their grandparents for a sleep over. After attempts to organize a guys night fell through, I decided to ride the wave of success I've been having lately and see if I could fix my main antenna.

I have blogged about it before, but literally overnight, my main wire dipole just mysterious stopped working. I tracked it down to one coax connector, which I tried to clean after it apparently somehow arched, but it hasn't worked good since.

So I found some more coax and replaced the current feed line. I had to dismantle my main station in my Man Cave, but it being summer, I haven't used it in months, and won't for 3 or 4 more. After replacing the coax, the antenna works beautifully and tunes on 40-6m... Why it doesn't tune on 80m is a mystery, because it also tunes on 160m and I have made a couple of contacts on that band.

Regardless, the antenna is back up and running and after the Ti-Cats game, I am set for a night of DXing.

New coax temporarily running through the yard...
 
Also, I am going to try the CT-62 CAT cable for the FT-100D I was having problems with on my other, older computer. I'm not sure why, I just have a feeling that an older radio might gel better with an older computer. But, what do I know?

Now, the past few days haven't been without setbacks...

Yesterday, my son spilled bubble solution on my netbook, which was the computer I used for all my radio logging, DX watching, etc. I don't know what's wrong with it, but the P, ", H, Enter and Backspace buttons now do not work. If anyone has any ideas on how to remedy this, please let me know. I love that computer!

Also, I'm down two substantial lengths of coax. One, the aforementioned arched coax from my main antenna, and another that when I was trying to remove it from my Man Cave station, somehow broke at the end. I'm not sure when I will be able to venture in to the big city for replacement parts, but I will add them to my already substantial parts list and I'll limp along for now.

I have NO IDEA how this happened...
 
But for tonight, GO TI-CATS GO and I am excited for a night of DXing. I might even bring the old IC-756 Big Rig Upstairs and try to re-ignite my love for that radio, but I am still not over the honeymoon phase with my FT-100D!

Have a good weekend everyone!!!


It's not going to be a night to be operating outside! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment